Niche - a genetics survival game is a fresh blend of turn-based strategy and simulation combined with roguelike elements.
Shape your own species of cat/fox/bear/dog-like animals based on real genetics. Keep your animals alive against all odds, such as hungry predators, climate change and spreading sickness.
If your species goes extinct the game is lost and your evolution needs to start anew.
- Living, dynamic world to test your survival skills
- Breeding system based on real genetics
- Over 100 genes to shape your species
- Procedurally generated worlds and animals
- Five biomes featuring different predators, prey and flora to explore
- Game mechanics inspired on population genetics
Games/books that inspired us:
- Don’t Starve
- The Creatures Series
- Warrior Cats
While playing Niche, the player is introduced to the scientific mechanics of genetics (featuring dominant-recessive, co-dominant inheritance, etc). The game also features the five pillars of population genetics (genetic drift, genetic flow, mutation, natural selection, sexual selection). All knowledge is interwoven with the game-mechanics. This creates the effect of learning by playing.